TFCI™ – The Development of Thermal Cut-off Technology
(continued from HOME PAGE)

In the last 25 years little has been done to detect outlet overheating and the subsequent fires caused by faulty, damaged, or improperly installed wall outlets, power strips, extension cords, etc. A simple installation error, such as insufficient tightening at binding head screw terminals, a poor splicing connection, or connections loosened over time from normal wear or vibration, can produce abnormal heat build-up behind walls, potentially leading to catastrophic fires and death.

BSafe® recognized this lack of development and set out to bring a new level of safety and security to residential, commercial, industrial and institutional buildings. In 2004 we set out to create a better and safer outlet using TFCI™, which detects excessive heat and employs an electro-mechanical cutoff. This technology is ubiquitous and can be incorporated into many electrical wiring devices to make them safer during their useful life.

BSafe’s first product introduction, an outlet with binding head screws, incorporating TFCI™, currently have five issued patents in addition to one pending patent.
   
  Facts About Electrical Fires
 
More Americans die in home fires each year than in all natural disasters combined

Children under five are twice as likely to die in a home fire as the rest of the population

In an average year, there are 1,500 U.S. dormitory, fraternity house, and sorority house fires causing 75 deaths and injuries and $9.1 million in property losses

Home electrical wiring problems cause 67,800 fires, 485 deaths and $868 million in property losses each year 1 Intentional repetition of this fact?

Studies indicate a disproportionate number of home electrical fires occur in structures 40 or more years old.

Fires commonly occur, in part, due to:

Electrical system failure and appliance defects and poor maintenance

Misuse of electrical appliance

Incorrectly installed wiring, and overload circuits and extension cords

Glowing Connections at the wire terminals, outlet contact in the device attachments in the outlet, damaged areas on insulated wiring, or loose splicing wire connections.

The Glowing Connection is a “Series Micro-Arcing Condition” that can develop at a loose binding head screw connection, loose splicing wire connection, or on damaged insulated wire. Contributing factors that lead to overheating and glowing connections are:

1. Incompatibility between the wiring conductor materials and device terminal materials i.e.; – expansion and contraction of the copper conductor around a steel binding head screw.

2. Workmanship and installation techniques – i.e.; insufficient, low tightening torque is applied at the screw terminal or wire splicing connection at initial installation.

3. High incidence of vibration during product use.

4. Wide temperature and high-humidity fluctuations

5. Corrosive environments such as salt air, ocean front and sea side communities.

Glowing Electrical Connections were identified in the 1970s by the U.S. National Bureau of Standards as a causative factor leading to fires in wall outlets.


 
 
Most electrical fires result from problems with 'fixed wiring' such
as faulty electrical outlets and
old wiring.


Source: US Fire Administration
Stop Image

PREVENT electrical outlet fires
and devastating financial losses.

PROTECT homes...property...lives

INSTALL BSafe
® The first and only fire-prevention outlet!

 
plug
BSafe® Technology – How It Works
BSafe’s TFCI™ thermal cut-off technology outlet incorporates a multi-sensor thermal switch mechanism. It senses abnormal temperature at each plug outlet and wiring screw terminal on the device and shuts off electrical power to the load on the outlet when overheating occurs.

Preventing the Glowing Connection
BSafe’s TFCI™ is the only technology that can detect abnormal heat at a connection before the Glowing Connection occurs, thereby preventing a potential fire.

plug
 
Be smart, BSafe